Five Surprising Raw Honey Benefits
The average person consumes a tremendous amount of refined sugar each year. Even if you don’t eat sweets, chances are you are still getting far more sugar than you should be, simply for the fact that it is added to countless different processed foods. Everything from bread and crackers to salad dressing, yogurt and cereal contain refined sugar, making it hard to avoid unless you eat only whole, unprocessed foods.
Many doctors and nutritionists have begun recommending the use of raw honey rather than refined sugar whenever possible. When it comes to raw honey benefits, there are almost too many to count. Here are just some of the reasons why you may want to consider adding this natural sweetener to your diet:
1. Raw honey contains many vitamins and nutrients. For instance, it contains many of the B-vitamins including riboflavin, thiamin, B6, niacin and pantothenic acid. Getting adequate levels of these essential vitamins in your diet can be challenging. Adding raw honey is one easy — and delicious — way to make sure that you are doing all you can to maintain an adequate intake of B-vitamins.
2. Unlike refined sugar, raw honey does not cause a huge blood sugar spike. It has a far lower glycemic load than refined sugar, which is healthier for the body since it does not require a large amount of insulin to be released into the body.
3. Raw honey has not been processed, and thus still retains all of its beneficial nutrients and enzymes. The honey that you typically find at the grocery store, on the other hand, has been processed under high heat. In many cases, it may have even been chemically refined. These processes destroy many of the beneficial vitamins, nutrients, and enzymes that are found in raw honey.
4. Raw honey contains nutraceuticals, which are antioxidants that can help remove free radicals from your body, boosting your immune system as a result.
5. Raw honey is easy to store and use. It doesn’t require any type of refrigeration. Instead, you can just use it as-is right out of the jar. Watch how this pest control company removes honey from a bee hive!
As you can see, there are a number of surprising raw honey benefits. When it comes to sweeteners, it is a far healthier choice than either refined sugar or processed honey. Best of all, it has an amazing taste that can add just the right amount of sweetness to foods or beverages.